Monday, December 6, 2010

An Introduction--Seeing My Life in Light of the Book of Mormon

One day, many years ago, after my recovery had begun, I was reading the Book of Mormon and came to these words in Jacob 1:4:   And if there were preaching which was sacred, or revelation which was great, or prophesying, that I should engraven the heads of them upon these plates, and touch upon them as much as it were possible, for Christ's sake, and for the sake of our people.

Since being in recovery is the equivalent of regaining a believing heart, I found myself willing to believe that God would hear and answer my prayers through the “words of Christ” or in other words the words of Truth, if I were willing to trust His promise to do so.  (See 2 Nephi 32:3.)  And so, in recovery I was regaining some of that childlike innocence and trust of God that I had as a little child, and I really believed it would do that–He would answer me.  He would converse with me, give me answering thoughts, whisper wisdom and understanding in to my mind.  And so, I asked, point blank, “Lord, the words, “engraven the heads of them” stand out to me and catch my attention.  What would Thou have me pause here and learn from these words?”  Almost instantly (and with a smile I could feel), I perceived the Lord God convey to my mind the words, “Think of what you are used to calling ‘headlines,’ Colleen.  That is what Nephi told Jacob to engraven upon the plates–the heads of them–the briefest summary of what could be said.”
           
“But Lord,” I continued, like the boldly inquisitive child He has taught me He desires and even enjoys me to be, “If the verses of the Book of Mormon are only made up of the headlines, how do I get to read the ‘rest of the story’ that goes with each one?  I mean, Lord . . . headlines only serve to whet my appetite or get my attention.”
           
With a continued smile (I swear you can feel His smile–in other words His good humor, His patience, His delight with you coming to Him for counsel–further light and knowledge, greater understanding), He said to me, “That is the part that will be opened to you as you seek to liken the “headline” unto your own life in the light of my Spirit.”
           
And that is how it is that I came to take the Book of Mormon as my source of “headlines” or “sub-titles” to guide the writing of my own life story.  I’ve thought for years I would someday share a finished autobiography or memoir using this model.  However, with the advent of the internet and the invitation of our prophets’ to use it as a resource and channel through which to publish/share ASAP our personal testimonies of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ, I have decided to post/share/publish my life story–one Book of Mormon “headline” at a time.

Scattered throughout the text will be invitations to you to “See” such and such a scripture.  Since you may not have a Book of Mormon or Bible near at hand, I have included the text of the referenced verses at the end of my sharing for your consideration.

Scriptures referenced in this post:

2 Nephi 32:3 -- Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ.  Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do.

Next post:  The Headlines for Me in 1 Nephi 1:1

No comments:

Post a Comment